Saturday, January 3, 2009

Genre, Tense And Point Of View

I write literary fiction; I read literary fiction; I love literary fiction; and it's what I want you to send me. My definition of literary fiction is fiction which is beautiful, lyrical and pure: as close to poetry as prose can get.

I don't exclude any genres from this definition: I've read crime and fantasy and memoir which all qualify for the label. You are going to have a hard time persuading me to include anything here that is to genre-specific: I can't see too many pointy-eared elves or sonic screwdrivers appearing on these pages. But still: write them so well that they fit right in and I'll give them my serious attention.

Tense and point of view are trickier. For now I'll consider anything but in future I might have to impose a few restrictions to help flow and coherence. I'll see how we get on and let you know if I need to make any changes.

No comments: